Each week this year, I am challenging myself to memorize a Scripture verse. This week’s verse is 2 Timothy 2:15. This verse is the AWANA verse, but it also reminds us that ALL believers should study to show ourselves approved by God.
So, let’s consider how to study the Bible…
1. MASTER the text.
“Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”
– Choose a BOOK of the Bible.
– Start with PRAYER.
– Read the ENTIRE book.
– Slow down and read the book VERSE-BY-VERSE.
– Ask three questions:
(1) What does this passage SAY?
(2) What does this passage MEAN?
(3) How does this passage APPLY to me?
Tools for studying the text:
• Choose a Bible – NKJV (the old KJV is probably not the best option for a new believer; the KJV used today—1769—is actually an update of the original 1611 edition), NIV, NASB, RSV, TEV, HCSB
• Study extra materials – NIV Study Bible (also in KJV and NASB), Life Application Study Bible, The MacArthur Study Bible, Ryrie Study Bible
• Go to the web – http://www.biblegateway.com, http://www.gty.org/resources.
2. Be MASTERED by the text.
“Mastering the text” means seeking God’s answers to my questions. Being “mastered by the text” means me answering God’s questions… and applying God’s Word to my life.
Try it. Pick a simple verse… or a few verses, and go through this simple process.